Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Visiting Banff National Park

After visiting Glacier National Park in Montana (see my previous post), my friends and I headed north into British Columbia. We stayed a night in a small campground just across the border and took off early in the morning. It didn't take long for our drive to get scenic that day.




We entered Kootenay National park (still in British Columbia) and drove though seeing beautiful scenery. In addition to the mountains, we also came across a group of bighorn sheep. We made a few stops in the park to take pictures, but our goal was to get to Banff National park, so we moved on.


We entered Banff (Alberta), and headed up to Lake Louise. Lake Louise has an iconic view from the large hotel. The lake is an almost unreal blue and then there are the mountains and (Victoria) glacier in the background. Just stunning. Not far away is Moraine lake, home of the ten peaks. This was pretty. I remember seeing this view as a background for an old phone. To see it in person was really quite impressive.

We took tons of pictures during our time at Lake Louise and Moraine lake before heading south to Banff, the town. We went shopping and ate in town that night, before spending the night in a campground. Again, we woke up early, this time to go mountain biking. We didn't hit up any really crazy terrain, but we had fun making our way around town on our rented bikes. I did tear a shirt, though, so I suppose I can brag about that!

Banff was so beautiful that I would love to go back some day. Not sure when that will be, but it will remain on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment