Saturday, March 12, 2011

Torrey Pines State Reserve

It's been an active, successful winter for me so far. I tried out broomball, I went on some very chilly runs, went snowshoeing several times, starting rock climbing, and even went camping on a cold night. It felt good, but no matter how active I am in the winter, there is the occasional spring and summer wish that comes to me. That wish came true last weekend as I went to San Diego. One of my favorite parts of the trip was a run/hike through the Torrey Pines State Reserve.

The Torrey Pines State Reserve borders a famous golf course, and offers some beautiful scenery. There are several trails that lead to cliffs along the Pacific Ocean. Also, there were plenty of plants that I'm not used to seeing. The most interesting, the Torrey Pine tree, only grows in two places: the state reserve, and on a nearby island. Of course, the weather was wonderful for a hike, the first day I've experienced over 65 since October probably.

It wasn't an easy run, though, as you had to watch your step with the trails being slightly uneven in places. There were also many switchbacks as they go downhill towards the Pacific Ocean. Of course I had to touch the ocean, so I went all the way down, which involved going down stairs as well.

I stopped to take pictures in several places along the trail. The bluffs along the ocean, the trees, the flowers, the outdoor workout, it was just a great feeling. Ah, it's no wonder California is the most populous state. I was almost sold on living there over just 4 days!

I'm really looking forward to making the spring of 2011 as great as the winter has been. I've got plans to make that happen, too: I'll be ramping up my running, climbing, hope to find some cool events in the twin cities, and possibly even go on a road trip or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment