Sunday, July 10, 2011

Antiques Roadshow in Minneapolis

Recently I volunteered at the production of Antiques
Roadshow, the most popular show on PBS. It was a fun experience, seeing all of the random things people brought in to be appraised, as well as being a part of such a popular program.

I found out Antiques roadshow is now in its 16th season, which made it no surprise that they had the productuon set down to a smooth operation. There were several different lines, depending on what you brought in. The most popular lines seemed to be jewelry and pottery and porcelain. The most interesting line, though, was probably folk art. There was a little bit of everything in that line. I don't know what got on the air, though, so I won't give anything away, but I will say: there was some great stuff that came out in Minneapolis, and I'm sure there will be a few good episodes from the day.

Some of the other lines included prints/posters, paintings, books, photographs, collectibles, musical instruments, clocks, tribal arts, and silver. This made for a wonderful variety of items, one of which I saw in a garbage can: must have been a bad appraisal!

There were thousands of people who received tickets to the event, but many more who didn't get tickets. Apparently 35,000 people applied for tickets, but fewer than 6000 received them.

The event ended up being a success, and I left with a t-shirt, sore legs (I was there all day), and memories of some pretty cool antiques!

No comments:

Post a Comment