Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Biking on the greenway in Minneapolis

Recently, I went for a nice ride from the Cathedral in Saint Paul to Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 miles, and made for a nice ride on my mountain bike.

I had never crossed the Mississippi river before via bicycle, so this was a big first for me. I took a common running route along summit ave in st paul until I reached the river, where I followed the Mississippi river road for a short while, then crossed on the marshall/lake street bridge. Soon, I cnnected with the midtown greenway. The greenway is a nice paved trail that is seperate from the street. It goes on for several miles through Minneapolis, and has many convenient exits.

I saw many people using the trail, which was great to see. Some may have been commuting to work, some for a leisurly ride, and others were out to get some exercise. Since my plan was to meet a friend at lake calhoun, somewhere I normally drive, I was choosing the bike over my car for the day, and found myself getting a decent workout in the process.

The twin cities are filled with many great walking and biking trails, and the greenway is just one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment