Sunday, April 8, 2012

Jerimoth hill, the highest point in Rhode Island

I recently did some traveling for work, and found time to visit another highpoint! I drove to Jerimoth Hill, the highest point in Rhode Island. Located just across the Connecticut border, this was an easy highpoint to summit.

I was on my way from Boston to Hartford, and I wanted to visit a highpoint while I was in this area, but I didn't have too much time as the rental car needed to be returned on time. The highpoints of Massachusetts and Connecticut were a bit out of reach, but Rhode Island's wasn't too far out of the way.

So I drove to Jerimoth hill. I saw a sign for it along the road, parked, and walked a few hundred feet down a wooded trail, following signs that were left by a highpointing club. It was very well marked for being a pretty short trail. One would never know you were at the highest point in the state if there weren't signs there. Definitely very different from being on top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii!



I did drive through some very quaint parts of Connecticut on my way back to Hartford, although I didn't stop due to some rain and the need to get the car back in time. I remember several hills and some towns along the way. Maybe I'll come again and explore when I'm not in a time crunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment