Friday, December 17, 2010

A legendary Blizzard

When I created this blog, I didn't intend to have weather-related posts. The storm that hit the twin cities last weekend, though, was not typical. We got hit with about 18 inches of snow between late Friday night and Saturday evening. On top of that, the temperatures were very low, going well below zero on Sunday and Monday. Now, almost a week later, many roads are still messy.

I didn't try to spend much time outside last weekend, but I was getting a little bored sitting inside all day, so I got out the snowshoes and went for a little walk. This was definitely one of the highlights, as I could see that I was the first person to set foot on much of the snow: it was terrain created overnight, and I was conquering it. Ok, that's a little dramatic, but it felt good to get some fresh air and make some fresh tracks.

Everything on Saturday was a bit of an adventure. I rode the bus, which gave me a great view of many cars stuck, others covered in huge drifts of snow. The bus driver told me that he had been stuck in Saint Paul for a couple hours prior to picking me up. Fortunately, he only got stuck once when on my route, which was only quite brief. Regardless, bus service was cancelled in the afternoon, so I was fortunate to have gotten on when I did.

Looking forward, I'm excited that I'll be be able to go snowshoeing more because of the snow, and I've been thinking about Nordic skiing. We have the makings of a long winter, so I'll need to do something!

1 comment:

  1. The east coast is getting hit with a major snow storm. I'm actually off tomorrow because of a state furlough day. No work-no money,but that's okay because I'm finally going to try out my new snowshoes that have been collecting dust since last year in my garage.

    I plan on going to the rail trail I run on to try out the snowshoes. Can't wait. Maybe I'll even do a little exploring down some of the technical trails.

    ReplyDelete