Monday, January 24, 2011

Cold run

I've been doing a pretty good job of getting outside this winter, and when I saw a clear sky, I wanted to go on a run. I looked up the temperature: somewhere between -5 and 5 degrees fahrenheit. I'd never ran more miles than degrees it was outside, but that changed after a 5.5 mile run.
Fortunately, the sun was out and the wind was pretty light. I ran a familiar route on Summit ave in St Paul. The route is pretty flat and goes past some historic homes. I had to be careful of ice and snow, but that's to be expected. I felt really strong, and probably would gone further had the route not been an out and back. I certainly wouldn't have felt as good if I hadn't prepared, though. I was wearing warm socks, spandex, windpants, two long sleeve shirts, a lightweight running jacket, a hat, gloves, and a headband over my neck. A sharp contrast from many of my runs last summer where I went shirtless with shorts. Yes, I am looking forward to warmer weather, but I still want to have a few more winter adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment